Today was the day that Nolan was scheduled to be born. Erin was due close to September 8th, so many months ago the doctor wanted to schedule the c-section for September 1. We have a lot of September birthdays in our family - Len, Kerri, Abigail, my dad and Bruno - so we thought Nolan would join the rest of the crew.
We all focused on the September 1 date... we usually have a family bet that occurs with the birth of each baby and for this one, we disregarded the due date because that was already determined (or so we thought).
And then in mid-July, Erin started having contractions. It was a roller coaster ride with trips to the doctor, medications to try and stop the contractions, going to the hospital and ending up on complete bed rest. Erin received medication to help little Nolan's lungs grow more quickly in the event that he would be born early. She had a test that was supposedly 99% accurate and the results showed that she would not deliver within two weeks of taking the test. I can't remember the exact number of days (Erin and Ryan remember) but just a few days later, little Nolan James graced the world with his presence.
It has been a very rough 6 weeks for Ryan and Erin. Nolan had to spend time in the NICU but they were able to bring him home the week we were in Michigan. He has had a tough time with reflux, strider, potential allergies to breastmilk and certain formulas. He has tried numerous medications in various strengths. And he is unable to sleep lying down (even propped up in a swing or car seat) - someone has to hold him all night long.
There have been countless trips to various doctors and a trip to the ER. Throughout all of this, I have never heard Ryan or Erin say "I'm so exhausted" or "I don't know how we will manage". (That's not to say they haven't said it or haven't thought it - I have just never heard it.) All I have ever heard is them say "We are just so worried about Nolan and it is so hard for us to see him so uncomfortable." This is what is called unconditional love. To love someone you had never met until 6 weeks ago so much that you stay up all night holding them, walking them, trying every medication, searching the internet for tips and ideas, calling the doctor and seeing specialists - all in an effort to help this ease a little baby's pain.
I wish we could do more to help them. Erin's family has been incredible in helping Erin out - with her mom staying there most of the time since Nolan has been born. My mom and dad have taken some weekend night shifts, watched Owen and made meals. Nora and Len have made meals and visited. Other friends and family have also chipped in. Bruno and I wish that we could take a few night shifts and make some meals. But unfortunately, the 500 miles that separates us doesn't allow us that opportunity.
We send our love and our prayers to them today on Nolan's due date and every day. We are so blessed to have little Nolan James in our lives - he is keeping everyone busy but he is a miracle to all of us and we love him unconditionally.
Juicy Oven Baked Chicken Breasts
1 week ago


2 comments:
I can totally relate! My Twin boys were due in Sept yet they were born in July. Though they were born 8 weeks early I was thankful that I made it that far as I was 3cm dilated at 26 wks and they didn't think my cervix would hold up. One Twin was sickly and I remember people asking how did I do it with him and another baby. My response was/is you just do it. To be honest I didn't even think about it at the time. Please tell Nolan's parents to hang in there. It DOES get better and remember it could be worse. They could have TWO newborn babies! :)
~ingrid
nicely done, K.
Post a Comment