Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Bruno's Parents Visit

Last weekend was very special - Bruno's parents came to visit us.  It was special because it had been six years since their last visit.  Six years ago they came to see Grace shortly after she was born and again for her baptism.  But that was the last time they were able to travel.  Bruno's grandma lived with his parents for the past twenty years and about six years ago, she started needing more and more care. 

And so for the past six years, Bruno's parents took care of Bruno's grandma (his mom's mom).  It was very tough work, required a tremendous amount of patience.  It was exhausting and stressful.  And then late last year, it just became too much for them to care for her and they placed her in a nursing home.  I know it was an extremely difficult decision for them. 

Bruno's parents are amazing people whom I admire so much.  They emigrated to New Bedford, MA from a gorgeous, tropical island in the Atlantic Ocean - Madeira, Portugal.  It may have been gorgeous but it was under a dictatorship in the 1970s and they decided they could make a better life for themselves and their family in the United States.  So they packed their suitcases and boarded a plane with their one-year old son, Bruno, and headed for New Bedford.  Bruno's dad, Mauricio, had a sister who had emigrated to New Bedford before him and was able to help them get settled. 

They knew very little English.  They had to get jobs and find a place to live.  They managed to juggle everything.  I can't imagine the struggles they faced those first few years - learning a new language, missing their family, meeting new friends, coping with lay-offs and raising their children.  Oh, and adjusting to the frigid New England winters!

They were blessed with a daughter, Maurilia, a few years after moving here.  They worked extemely hard, lived on tight budgets, and saved enough money to buy a wonderful home with a beautiful back yard.  They sent both of their children to college.  And now Maurilia and Bruno have successful careers and wonderful families of their own.  Manuela and Mauricio have three grandchildren - all girls.  Every day, they have the joy of watching Maurilia and Victor's little girl, Ava, who brings so much happiness to them.  And every day, they visit Bruno's grandma in the nursing home.  She is now 98 years old.

From the moment I met them, they have been so incredibly kind and welcoming to me.  They are some of the hardest working people I have ever met.  They are also some of the most generous and kind people I have ever met.  Our visits to their home are fun-filled and relaxing and his parents are such a help with the kids.  Bruno's mom makes amazing meals and I am fascinated by her ability to whip up several course meals in the blink of an eye.  They both love to be outside in the summer and have a gorgeous yard and garden to prove it.

They are amazing people and we love them so much!

Here are some pictures from our wonderful visit!

Great Falls, VA - hard to believe this is just about 15 miles from Washington, DC!







I love this picture of Manuela and Mauricio walking along looking so happy.




1 comment:

Maurilia said...

Great pictures! My Dad is still talking about the beautiful Falls and now I can see why. Looks like everyone had a great time :)