Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Happy St. Patrick's Day - Here's to Mimi

My maternal grandparents were born in Ireland so this is a very special day in our family.  My grandmother, Mimi, was born in County Cork and my grandfather was born in County Kerry.  I didn't have the pleasure of meeting my grandfather because he died before I was born.  But I was blessed with knowing my Mimi for 16 years.  Mimi embraced every single solitary bit of her Irish heritage.  She loved making soda bread.  She loved Irish music more than any other kind and we loved to sing songs with her.  Some of her favorites were the Black Velvet Band and Hello Patsy Fagan (here is a link to Grace's rendetion of it). My mom told me that Mimi's mom would send shamrock's from Ireland for St. Patrick's day.  She loved being Irish!

It amazes me that Mimi came to the United States as a young woman and left behind everything she knew for the opportunities in the United States.  I just posted earlier this week about moving to DC and leaving behind my family and friends.  It was so different than what Mimi had to endure.  I could call my family and friends basically anytime I wanted and visited them frequently.  I remember Mimi telling the story about going back to Ireland after many, many years.  She planned the trip as a surprise for her mom.  I remember Mimi telling me that her mom was sitting on the steps peeling potatoes and then she looked up, saw Mimi and ran down the steps to embrace her.  How amazing that hug must have been! 

Aside from a couple of visits back to Ireland, Mimi could only write letters to her mother and her family as it was too expensive to call.  In fact, I don't even know if my great-grandma had a phone! Mimi saved all of those letters, along with the heart-wrenching telegram that said "Mother died this morning. Stop."  (Are you crying yet... what can I say? It's an Irish story... there has to be tears and eventually laughter and then tears while you are laughing...)

After Mimi died, I typed up many of the letters for my aunts so that they could read the beautiful exchanges between my grandma and her mom.  The paper was almost transulcent and fragile it was so old.  The black ink pen was hard to read and had bled through the paper.  But what an absolute treasure those letters are.  And the amazing part was when I came across one that my great-grandma sent to my Mimi.  I wish I had it here so I could use her words.  Even without much, if any, schooling at all, my great-grandma was an absolutely beautiful writer.  The letter said something to the effect of, "My dearest Nora - Two years ago today you came home to suprise me.  I was sitting on the front steps when I looked up and there you were.  My beautiful daughter had come home."  The part that was amazing is that the story was almost verbatim from what Mimi had told me for so many years.

And now today, my entire family celebrates this day and we celebrate Mimi and her love of all things Irish!  We make soda bread, we play Irish music, we dance and we celebrate our heritage because that's what Mimi would have done.

We had a party this weekend and didn't serve much Irish food (not sure Mimi would have approved).  But here are some pictures.  Happy St. Patrick's Day everyone!




There is just something about a Costco cake - with cheesecake filling - yum!

Chocolate cake balls inspired by Bakerella.


2 comments:

Maurilia said...

Happy St. Patty's Day, you're party looked so pretty as did the girls!

Ingrid_3Bs said...

Thanks for sharing your Mimi with us.

St. Patrick's Day is my father's birthday.
~ingrid