You may think this is a post in honor of my mom, Tara. But today, I want to honor a woman I met just a few months ago whose name is also Tara. Her daughter is in Grace's class at school and she also works at the school. I met her in the fall and saw her at back-to-school events, plays and birthday parties. She was so nice and kind to me, friendly and outgoing.
And then, in late fall (I don't remember exactly when, I know she does), I got an e-mail from one of the other parents. The e-mail said that Tara had been diagnosed with breast cancer. I was heartbroken for her and her family. But they had caught it early so she had surgery and was hoping that would take care of it. Then in early January, at her daughter's birthday party, she told me that she would soon learn if she needed chemo and/or radiation. A few days later, she learned that she would indeed need both.
The school community responded and we recieved more e-mails over the course of several weeks. Here's to Lisa for coordinating all of the meals and outreach for Tara. Lisa made sure that Tara's family had dinner every night and that it wasn't all just pasta dinners. I'm sure it has been such a relief for Tara and her family to not have to worry about the daily "what's for dinner?" question.
When I first met Tara, she had the most gorgeous, long, blond hair - she had a contagious smile and a warm, caring way about her. Before her chemo, she cut her hair into a short bob - it looked adorable. She told me that as long as she was going to lose her hair, she would have fun getting some new, short hair styles. She has such an amazing attitude!
I saw her the other day. She had a wig on. And she looked adorable - she looked gorgeous. She still has her contagious, beautiful smile and her warm, caring way. I asked her how the chemo was going and she said she was blessed that it had not been too bad. She said she was exhausted but had not been too sick. It simply amazes me that someone going through chemo can say it's not too bad. Her positive attitude and outlook on life have to be such a tremendous help to her during this time.
She has one more round of chemo and then on to 6 weeks of radiation. She is already planning on walking in the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure in June and I know she will be there on race day wearing her "I beat cancer" t-shirt. She is an amazing woman with a sparkling attitude who will fight this evil disease. Here's to Tara!
Juicy Oven Baked Chicken Breasts
1 week ago



1 comment:
I remember you telling us about her. Glad to hear that she's winning the battle.
~ingrid
Post a Comment