Monday, May 14, 2012

First Communion

Yes, I realize I am months behind in my blog posts, which I will get to.  But I wanted to make sure and put up a post that captured a wonderful weekend.

The weekend began with Grace's softball game on Friday night and we were able to watch her pitch for the very first time.  She did a great job and really enjoyed pitching.  It was so fun to have her family watch her play and cheer her on.  She was thrilled that her cousin Owen and uncle Ry Ry could join us, as well as Aunt Nora, Uncle Lenny, Aunt Kerri and Uncle Mark.  Jamma and Poppy came in a few days early to help us get ready for all of the festivities!

Then Saturday morning we had a nice breakfast and started getting ready for the big day.  Grace looked so beautiful in her white communion dress (thank you, Aunt Nora).  Abby was also excited to wear HER "first communion dress" (thank you, mom). 

There was a lot of back-and-forth about whether Grace wanted to wear a veil or not, but in the end, she wanted the veil.  We were in the first row - thank you Nora, Len, Kerri and Mark for the great seat-saving - and were able to watch her walk down the aisle.  She was so peaceful - you could just see it in her eyes.  And then we all watched as she received her First Communion.  It was a special moment and we were so happy to be able to share it with our family. 

We had a fabulous lunch afterwards at our house (thank you, Bruno and my mom) including (Grace's request) corned beef, mashed potatoes, green bean casserole, rolls and salad.  We had a leisurely afternoon just being together. 

Then we spent Sunday showing Owen the sights in DC.  And take a guess at what he was most impressed with... the Capitol? No. ... the new Martin Luther King, Jr. memorial? No. ... the Washington Monument?  Nope.  He couldn't believe the amazing "pretzel and t-shirt carts"!!!  Ha - you never know what a six-year old is going to find entertaining!  (If you check back tomorrow, I should have the photos of our DC outing up here.)

Thanks to all who were able to join us and to those who couldn't be with us in person, thank you for your calls, cards and prayers.











 Grace requested a lemon cake with cream cheese frosting which I was happy to make for her.


What a wonderful weekend to share with our family and friends! 



1 comment:

Maurilia said...

Gorgeous family photos! Grace looks as sweet as an angel.

Love your cake!! I love the roses, well done :)I am so bad decorating cakes with icing. I even took a class once and still never got the hang of it. So I can appreciate it when others do a good job b/c I know it's not easy to do.

Can't wait to see all of you! Ava keeps asking "how long is it going to take to see Abby and Grace"?? :)