Many years ago, my friends and I decided we needed to start planning "Girls Getaway Weekends". Our lives had become so busy that we needed to set aside a special weekend to catch up. Gone were the days of spending hours on the phone talking (even when it cost extra money to talk long distance) because we had nothing else to do. Hour-long phone calls became lengthy emails which have more recently become texts. I know we would all love to spend hours on the phone again, catching up on everything but we no longer have "nothing else to do". There is always a litany of things to do. We all have kids, jobs, husbands and other family and friends who keep us very busy. What can I say, it is just a busy time in all of our lives for a variety of reasons.
So what better way to put an end to the "busy" and set aside three days and two nights once a year?! We usually start planning months ahead and it is always something we look forward to. This year we met in Ann Arbor, Michigan - which was a little hard for the Spartans among us! But we had a fabulous weekend - great food, drinks, shopping, staying up late talking, waking up early and talking. We always pick up where we left off and we never run out of things to talk about and catch up on!
There is a sincerity, comfort and calmness about being with friends who I have known a lifetime. There are no pretences, there is no hiding your feelings - they know everything about me. And while we have formed new friendships, we will always treasure our time together.
I shed a few tears when my friends dropped me off at the airport - I always do when I say good-bye. I never used to be a "crier". But it seems the older I get, the more I realize the true depth and meaning of life-long friends. Here's to you, my chicas!
Juicy Oven Baked Chicken Breasts
1 week ago



1 comment:
Cheers to girl friends! Nothing beats the comfort and joy of getting together with childhood friends. So happy to hear you ladies had a fabulous time, you most definitely deserve it.
Post a Comment