Friday, July 23, 2010

Summer Camp

This is Grace's first year at summer day camp.  We heard about the camp through another parent at school and registered her in February (yes, 4 months ahead of time). 

It will not surprise those of you who know me so well to learn that I was a little worried about many things.  Would she would know anyone there and how would she fit in (she knows several kids and has fit in great).  I was worried about the camper to counselor ratio (which I learned was really quite low).  I was worried about whether she would be bored (she's not). I was worried about whether the counselors would put enough sunscreen on her (for the most part, pretty good on that one). I will say I was excited about the full size pool where she would take lessons every day - but of course that worried me too (she loves being in the pool and swims three times a day). 

But, in usual Grace fashion, she has loved camp from day 1 and has met new friends and enjoyed seening some old friends from her preschool days.  She particularly loves the fact that she gets to buy a junk food snack every day (see my previous post on the Hostess Cupcake).  And she has a killer tan (despite the multiple applications throughout the day of SPF 70+).

Bruno and I never went to summer camp every day like Grace does.  My mom would sign me up for all kinds of activities - you name it, I tried it.  But our summer days were much different than being at a camp all day.  Sometimes it's hard for us to reconcile that Grace's sense of "normal" is very different than what our sense of "normal" was.  My mom didn't work when I was little (well, she worked raising us but didn't have a job outside of the home) and so she was home when I got off the school bus and she was home in the summer.  I didn't know any kids who went to camp all day long.  Bruno's parents worked different shifts so that one parent would be home at all times.  Bruno and I enjoyed our childhoods and we want the same happiness for Grace. 

I'm glad we found a summer camp where she can be happy and be a kid for the summer!

3 comments:

Maurilia said...

Aww so glad Grace is enjoying her summer camp, it sounds like a lot of fun and a great way to spend the summer. Grace looks so sweet in her pictures!

I am sure it's a big relief to you as a Mom to see her enjoying herself.

geogems said...

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE YOUR SUMMER CAMP STORY. If she is anything like you (or your mom for that matter) she'll be running the place. Your girls are so beautiful and grown...not so fast please. Our Abbi is a JR.this yr.; Kate's a soph.;Tucker and Jack are in middle school and Evan is third grade. Treasure every moment. I thought you were going to say, your mom ran a neighborhood "day camp" so all the kids could get dropped off at your house----------NOT. Hugs, geo

Ingrid_3Bs said...

Oh, how the times have changed! My kiddos are pretty sheltered but not it's on to HS & MS. Yikes!

Your doing a great job. You can see from all your photos how happy & well adjusted she is. :)
~ingrid