Before Grace went to kindergarten, we would have "mommy-daughter breakfast" about once a month. Normally Bruno would drop her off at school, but usually once a month, on a Friday, I would take her. We would drop Abigail off at her daycare and then Grace would get to pick where we would eat breakfast: McDonalds, bagels, or the bakery. Most times, she selected the bakery and would order a giant chocolate croissant. I would get my standard chocolate covered donut. We would sit and chat and talk about school, her friends, what our plans were for the weekend. I loved those breakfasts.
Now that she goes to kindergarten and it starts at 8:00 a.m., there isn't the opportunity for those special breakfasts, so I told her we would make new plans for our special time together. This weekend, I took Grace to see the Nutcracker for the first time. On our way there, she said "I'm so excited to spend the afternoon with my mommy!" She loved the ballet and the intermission and picking out a small nutcracker for a keepsake. I loved hanging out with her. She is such a sweet girl. Everyone tells you how fast time flies when you have children and to appreciate the moments when they are young and sweet and will hold your hand walking down the sidewalk. I did just that on Sunday!
I think it is so important to make special time and memories with your children. It doesn't have to cost money - you can take them to the park - but I know they treasure that personal attention and time with each parent one-on-one. And I know I treasure that time as well. I can't wait for our next special outing!
P.S. - My friend, Fannie, just posted a beautiful poem on her blog that shares many of my same thoughts. I admire people who can write poems - it's a talent I never hard. - http://startthestory.blogspot.com/
Juicy Oven Baked Chicken Breasts
1 week ago


2 comments:
So funny... I just wrote a poem on my blog about that exact situation...fleeting time, happy childhhood. Very touching Kristen - I know Grace treasured the moment.
I need to make an effort to spend one on one time with each of my kiddos. I know they would enjoy it especially the twins who were forced by nature to always be part of pair! :)
I'm going to check out the other blog you suggested.
~ingrid
Post a Comment