Tuesday, November 17, 2009

What a day can bring

This weekend it was beautiful out.  After days of cold, wind and rain, the sun felt so warm and was so bright.  The autumn leaves were falling and some neighbors were being productive and raking them - we were just soaking in the warm weather!  A day can bring sun and warm and beautiful colored leaves and a day (even the same day) can also bring sad news...

I was checking my email Sunday and I had an email from one of my neighbors. One of her daughters is, I would guess in her mid to late 20s and lives in Massachusetts.  I met her a couple of months ago when my neighbor brought her daughter by to meet me.  She was sweet and asked Grace all kinds of questions and said how cute Abigail was.  She was so happy to be staying with her mom for a week vacation, and my neighbor couldn't have been happier to have her daughter home.

My neighbor's email started with her saying "I never dreamed I would be writing this..." Her daughter was diagnosed with leukemia this weekend.  I don't know the full story but all I know is she was admitted to the hospital on Friday and they started her first transfusion on Sunday.  My heart is breaking for my neighbor and her other children, she has a daughter and son who live in Arlington.  She will have to juggle being with her daughter in MA, while also trying to manage her own life in VA. 

Then today, I had another email from Grace's school telling the parents that a mother of a kindergartner was just diagnosed with breast cancer.  She has a 5-year old who plays with Grace every day after school.  I saw both the mom and her husband and their daughter on Sunday at a birthday party for another kindergartner.  She looked great and was smiling.  She must have known her diagnosis but was able to put on a happy face for her daughter.  They have not told their daughter yet.  And my heart breaks again for this woman and her family and her daughter.

Ugh - I hate that these two women and their families have to cope with such scary and life-changing news.  In one instance they too may have been walking in the leaves, soaking up the warm fall sun, and then in one day, everything has changed, forever.  And all of this happening smack dab in the middle of the two most wonderful (in my opinion) holidays of the year. 

I have reached out to others who have gone through leukemia and asked what I could send that would be a comfort to my neighbor's daughter and to my neighbor.  And I know that Grace's school will provide all the resources it can with the support of other moms and families to help this mom and her family face the reality of breast cancer and I have offered to help with whatever she may need.  I know they are both being treated by world class medical doctors.  And I know they must be incredibly sad and scared.  And I know we can keep them in our prayers every day. 

As Thanksgiving approaches and I anxiously count the days until we are on the plane going to see my family, I will also keep in mind those who are facing such hurdles this Thanksgiving.  And I will be thankful for many things I may not have thought to be thankful for a few days ago.

1 comment:

Ingrid_3Bs said...

I'm sorry to hear that. It seems the older we get the more often we hear of friends and acquaintances being touched by these dreaded disease. I'm certain you'll do what you can for your neighbor and your daughter's classmate's mom.

If we don't "speak" again before now and Thanksgiving. Have a safe and wonderful one!
~ingrid