Thursday, November 19, 2009

The Corn Feast

It was bound to happen one of these days - the challenges of working parents.  (Don't worry, I appreciate the challenges of stay-at-home parents too - just being a parent has its challenges.) 

Grace had a corn feast at school this morning.  Essentially the kindergartners perform a play about the pilgrims and eat food with corn in it.  Grace practiced her line all week - "There was a big rock at the shore of the new world."  We were asked to bring in food made with corn.  I had plans to try a new recipe for sweet corn and bacon cupcakes. 

Then the Senate leadership decided to release their health reform bill last night at 7:30 p.m.  So, I came back to work, scrolled through 2,000 pages, sent out a notice to the members of our association.  That would have been fine... but... I couldn't make my sweet corn and bacon cupcakes.  So I made salsa with corn in it and that would have been fine... but...

I had a meeting scheduled this morning at work that I absolutely couldn't miss which meant that I could not go to the corn feast.  Bruno also had a meeting that he could not reschedule.

I'm sad and disappointed that I had to miss the corn feast.  I know there will be more events that I will be able to go to but I still feel bad.  I don't want Grace to have to be "that kid" whose parents are too busy to come to school events.  Oh well, it was bound to happen.  I asked my friend to take pictures and I'll share them once I see them.  And I will stop beating myself up now about this because things just happen that are out of our control.

And on to brighter topics - countdown to Michigan - yipee - just 5 days away!

2 comments:

F.H. Gray said...

Trust me... you do so many wonderful things for your daughters every day. Grace is NOT going to end up on some Shrink's couch lamenting that you missed the Corn Feast. Its ok.

Ingrid_3Bs said...

I know how it goes. It's tough. You can't miss work because it pays the bills and puts food on the table but you don't want to pass up on the kids' activities. You'll make up for it in other ways! :)
~ingrid