Thursday, October 22, 2009

Chocolate Rolo Cookies

I still consider myself new to the blogging world even though I have been blogging for several months.  I assumed that my family and friends were reading it and that it wouldn't really be of interest to anyone else.  So, I was really surprised one day when I noticed a comment from a woman named Ingrid.  Hmmm, I don't know anyone named Ingrid.  It was a very nice comment but I was still a little perplexed.  So, I clicked on her name and realized she is Ingrid from one of my favorite blogs - 3 B's - Baseball, Baking and Books. And I also thank Susan from another one of my favorite blogs She's Becoming DoughMessTic who also commented on my blog. 

I was so touched that Ingrid and Susan would take time out from their busy days to post a comment.  So Ingrid and I started exchanging emails and shared some stories about our little ones.  She has also been so sweet to keep asking how my little nephew Nolan, who was born premature and has had some reflux problems, is doing.  (He is doing much better but my brother and sister-in-law still have some challenging days and nights.)  I recently told Ingrid that I would soon post a recipe since I also love baking so much.

I love looking at all of the wonderful baking blogs out there and getting great, new ideas.  I love seeing pictures of the recipe as it is being made but I learned that it is very time consuming and can be quite messy to take pictures while you are baking.  So, for my first post, I did not take many pictures along the way.  And major kudos to all of the food bloggers who take pictures of their recipes as they are making them - keep it up, it is worth it for us readers out there!

One recipe that caught my eye was for Rolo cookies... chocolate and carmel - my two favorite combinations (althuogh a close rival to chocolate and peanut butter).  These are delicious fresh out of the oven and I would suggest warming them up in the microwave for a few seconds if you don't eat them right away.

To be honest, I'm not sure I will make these again.  They were quite a bit of work and the dough was quite sticky to work with (even after leaving it in the refrigerator for a couple of hours before I rolled in the Rolos).  But they were delicious and if you need something that you are going to serve the same day, these would be great.



If you don't own this product, you should buy some - it is fantastic!  (I am not getting paid for this promotion and I don't even know if I can use trade names in the blog without Reynolds Wrap's permission but I somehow don't think they will mind if I am promoting their product!)



I rolled some in sugar, left some plain and sprinkled some with salt.  All were delicious.



Mine came out a little flat but I have that problem with evey cookie I make!


ROLO COOKIES (adapted from RecipeZaar.com - I omitted the nuts)

2 1/2 c. flour
3/4 c. unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1 c. sugar plus 4 tbsp. sugar - separated
1 c. packed brown sugar
1 c. butter, softened
2 tsp. vanilla
2 eggs
Rolo candies

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In small bowl, combine flour, cocoa, and baking soda. In large bowl, beat sugars and butter until fluffy. Add vanilla and eggs; beat well. Slowly add flour mixture; blend well. Chill dough for at least 30 minutes.  For each cookie, with floured hands, shape about 1 tablespoon dough around caramel candy, covering completely. Place 4 tablespoons sugar in a small bowl. Roll the dough into the sugar and place on an ungreased sheet. Bake at 375 degrees for 8 to 10 minutes. Cool slightly and remove from sheets to cool on wax paper.  Do not cool on wire racks or the soft center will fall through. Makes up to 60 cookies. (My batch only yielded about 36 cookies - oops - I guess I made them too big!)

Enjoy!

4 comments:

Ingrid_3Bs said...

Great job! Your cookies look good. I find that cookies overall are lots of work and the payoff not as big as other desserts. I generally make bars if I'm looking for quick and easy.

Btw, here are some tips for overcoming flat cookies. :) Don't grease the pan or if it does call for it very lightly. The grease encourages the spreading of the dough. It bakes out instead of up. Don't put the dough on a warm pan, again that makes it spread. When adding the cookie dough to the pans make certain that the dough is well chilled. If you handled it a lot then chill the pan and dough in the fridge/freezer for a bit. Hope those helped and of course there may be other tips out in the blogosphere!

Thanks VERY much for the shout out and nice words! :)
~ingrid

Keeping up with the Freitas' said...

Great tips - Thanks Ingrid!

Maurilia said...

Mmm what a great combo, these look great!

Me and My Pink Mixer said...

Yum - these cookies look delish! I love making cookies so I'll be saving this recipe to make soon :)t